Mentor Visits

During my last couple of visits to Pony Express Elementary my mentor, Karen Jensen, came to observe. Afterwards she gave me some feedback about my teaching. I was so grateful to have an outside pair of eyes watching as I taught. I realized that even in the moments when I felt that I had done a very good job, there were minor things I could improve to make the overall experience even more meaningful for my students. One small example was that of the volume of my music. I had originally been bringing a small portable speaker to class to use to play my music. My mentor observed that there was a sound system that played over the entire classroom. I had not even noticed that before. The following week I used the sound system in the classroom and it seemed to help the kids become more fully involved in the movement experience. Sometimes it makes me nervous to have mentors or teachers there to watch me teach, but the more I teach, the more I realize that they are a fountain of knowledge and experience that can help me achieve greater things. I hope I can always have the same outlook as I go through life and get feedback from those around me. :)

Comments

  1. Yes great outlook Adrienne! I agree that it is hard having people come observe because it puts us as teachers in an extremely vulnerable position. I’ll try to keep the same perspective that you have to accept the critique and do our best to apply it. You’re doing a great job with that already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your view on feedback! I always love receiving feedback from more experienced teachers. They bring up things I would have never thought to consider or try and they also point out our strengths that we may not realize as well. It is very nerve racking having someone watch not knowing how the kids will react to your lesson but if you're prepared and do your best you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Group Work